Columbia Asia Hospitals has a team of medical and surgical oncologists who exclusively treat cancers. The consultants are highly qualified and have been trained at some of the best institutes in the world. The hospital provides the highest standards of care, where consultants practice evidence-based medicine and follow international treatment protocols.
The department offers screening for various cancers, investigations, diagnosis and treatments to patients. The patient and family are involved in discussing the treatment options, which are tailor-made for each patient. The department also provides care for a wide range of malignancies in both adult and paediatric patients. Procedures in children are done under sedation to minimise pain and anxiety, with appropriate monitoring.
The Department of Oncology at Columbia Asia Hospitals offers integrated cancer care through a team of medical and surgical oncologists, who work with virtually all specialists to diagnose and treat cancers. The standard of care provided is excellent in terms of clinical abilities and delivered with compassion towards the patient and family. Evidence-based medicine and international protocols are the norms for care offered by our team, who undergo periodic skill upgradation training. Nurses and other paramedical staff are specially trained in handling cancer patients. Counselling and family support services are also offered, as a diagnosis of cancer can be devastating for families.
Specialised oncology services
- Gynaec-oncology focuses on cancers of the female reproductive system
- Paediatric oncology focuses on cancers of children
- Hepato-biliary cancers including liver transplant
- Urological cancers
- Head and neck tumours
- Thoracic tumours including lung, pleural, pericardia and mediastinal cancers
- Breast tumours
- Gastro-intestinal tumours
- Genitourinary tract tumours
- Bone and soft tissue tumours
- Gynaecological tumours
Screening for cancers
- Is available for some type of cancers
- Can diagnose cancers before symptoms appear
- Can differentiate between benign and malignant tumours
- Is done for those who are at high risk for some cancers
Types of screening
- Colonoscopy for colo-rectal cancers
- Mammography for breast cancers
- Pap test for cervical cancers
- PSA for prostatic cancers, although there are varying opinions on the utility of this
Sometimes, cancer may have progressed rapidly despite treatment and the patient has symptoms which are unbearable. The aim of palliation is to make the symptoms as painless as possible. Treatment is aimed at preserving the dignity of the patient and assisting with end of life care. Multi-disciplinary care including pain management is usually given.
Head and neck oncology
Columbia Asia Hospitals offers a wide range of diagnostic services and treatments for head and neck cancers. A multi-disciplinary team includes the ENT specialists, neurosurgeons, neurologists, medical oncologists and others as needed.
Contemporary technology, state-of-the-art infrastructure and clinical expertise of our team enable early diagnosis and treatment resulting in excellent outcomes.
The term head and neck encompasses the skull base, meninges (membranes covering the brain), nasal cavity, sinuses, throat, voice box or larynx, tongue, mouth and salivary glands. Cancer can occur in any of these areas. These cancers can spread to the lymph nodes of the neck and often, this is the first symptom of the cancer.
Cancers of the head and neck include those that occur in:
- The moist surfaces inside the region like mouth, tongue and lips, nasal passages / nose, sinuses and throat
- Voice box
- Salivary glands
- Thyroid gland
- Skull base
Head and neck cancers have shown a strong link to environmental and lifestyle factors. Some examples are:
- Tobacco smoking
- Alcohol consumption
- Exposure to ultraviolet rays
- Exposure to chemicals at workplaces
- Some viruses like human papilloma viruses
Early detection is known to offer a better outcome. Surgery and radiotherapy are the most common modalities of treatment. Chemotherapy and targeted chemotherapy are also tried in some cases.