Columbia Asia Referral Hospital Yeshwanthpur, a tertiary care hospital, has now introduced robotic surgery in urology and gastrointestinal surgery. The hospital which has infrastructure and technical expertise, is known for clinical expertise on all specialties. With the commencement of robotic surgeries, we have reached the pinnacle of excellence. The robotic equipment is used in renowned institutions globally. The equipment in Columbia Asia Hospitals is the most contemporary model and our consultants are extensively trained in robotic surgery. A dedicated operation theatre is remodelled to enable the consultants to perform the intricate and precision-driven surgery in an ambient environment. The consultants, who are trained in institutes renown in India and abroad, follow all protocols to ensure the best standard of care is given.
What is robotic surgery?
Robotic surgeries are computer-assisted techniques with robotic systems aiding surgical procedures. It is a mechanical helping hand to surgeons. Surgical robots are self-powered, computer-controlled devices that can be programmed to aid in the positioning and manipulation of surgical instruments. Surgeons view the patient via a terminal and manipulate the robotic surgical instruments via a control panel located in the adjoining console.
Organs are viewed through tiny cameras inserted into the body. The surgical robot functions by remote, minimally invasive and unmanned surgery.
Special features of the robotic technique
It is a 3D high-density vision system, which is minimally invasive and gives the surgeon a wider view of the operating site and offers the same flexibility of a wrist. The surgery is done with great precision and with minimal handling of surrounding organs.
What are the specialities for which robotic surgery is done?
- Gastrointestinal surgery
The robotic-assisted surgery advantage
- Better in-site 3D vision, camera zoom
- Very precise surgery, offers flexibility and better control
- Significantly less pain
- Fewer complications
- Less bleeding and associated complications
- Lower rates of infection
- Less need for medication
- Smaller incisions
- Shorter catheter time
- Less scarring
- Shorter hospital stays
- Fewer hospital re-admissions
- Quicker recovery time
- Better clinical outcomes
- The procedure is highly technical and requires specialised, extensive training of the surgeon, who is already highly skilled in oncological and laparoscopic procedures
- The procedure can be done only at centres of excellence and hence availability of this procedure is limited
- High investment cost
- Higher costs
- Requires regular maintenance
- Bulky size of the robotic system
Why Columbia Asia
- Experience of our extensively trained surgeons is unmatched. They have excellent outcomes in traditional minimally invasive surgeries.
- Innovative and contemporary robotic equipment, which is the latest upgraded version
- Support of other specialties for those patients with co-morbidities
- An exclusive operation theatre complex that is remodelled for robotic surgeries
- Support of imaging and laboratory services
- Blood bank services
- International infection control practices
Treatments and Procedures