It is a treatment modality where a prepared sample of stronger sperm is inserted into the uterus using a fine plastic catheter, close to the time of ovulation. Additionally, the woman is in some cases, given medication to help her ovulate.
IUI is useful if:
- You are having difficulty with intercourse
- Unexplained infertility of relatively short duration
- Minor problems with the semen samples
- Mild endometriosis (a condition in which cells that normally line the womb are found elsewhere in the body)
- You are using a donor sperm